Wednesday, December 22, 2010

New Asparagus Bed

When someone gifts you 8 crowns of 3 year old Asparagus, you start to see areas of your yard a little differently then before.

Asparagus is willowy and bramble at the same time and is typically located in the back of the garden area. I don't have a "behind the garage" type area in my garden so this spot is as close as it gets. It's behind the Greenhouse but in plain view.

With the dirt poured to establish the desired depth, I start placing boulders to create a second tier to the Sunning Bed. Here you can see the size of the boulders and the finished project. I removed the large boulder in the top of the photo and planted the Asparagus, all 8 of them in this bed. It was moon in Taurus, which is a strong root sign, in the Second Quarter which is good for above ground plants (just shooting from the hip). I did some research to find out how deep to plant them and planted them about 4 inches deep. Even though they are about 3 years old, I read where you are not to harvest them for over a year because they have been transplanted and that they still need the time to establish no matter how old the crowns are. That might be a challenge. I'd like to tell you in April if I agree. I definately cannot wait until the Asparagus start to grow!
Thanks for visiting! To all of my gardening friends, carry on and hurry back!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Laura! I've never grown asparagus. It needs patience! Update us in spring. Meanwhile, Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But once you get the grove going, it will never stop growing. We had a secret asparagus garden far away from the house where only rhubbarb and asparagus grew. It took my mom a couple years to get it going, but once it went, it never stopped...keep us uptodate with how it goes....I'd love to try it here in Tucson....I'm sure it's possible.

    ReplyDelete