Friday, September 4, 2009

Lil Bit of Trouble

In a conversation with a very knowledgable garden expert, whom we shall call Leslie, I asked what she thought about New Zealand Spinach. I had just ordered it online from Botanical Interests, (there's a link located under Essentials on the sidebar) and I thought it was awesome that as a spinach, it actually thrives here in our environment. She shared with me that it can be extremely invasive, and practically overran one of her raised beds until she finally got rid of it, and was not feeling the love for New Zealand Spinach. Oh, oh! I say that because I have recently unleached it's potential in my new 17 1/2 foot raised bed and this could be a problem. You can see it in the picture. It looks so harmless. Who would think that it is trouble in the making. I laugh almost invitingly at my predicament, someday cursing that there is too much spinach and trying to get to the root of it. (Now if this were mint, my demeanor would be totally different. I have slayed the mint dragon once, and even the scales that fell off turned into mint. It was a nightmare!) So I will eventually relocate this pretty green jewel into one of the traveling pots but for now it's like holding a little piece of Kriptonite. Kind of bedazzling.

Thanks for visiting! To all of my gardening friends, carry on and hurry back!

No comments:

Post a Comment